Dr Phillips Homes for sale | Dr Phillips Real Estate
Where is this?
Doctor Phillips is an easy 10 minutes sprint on I-4 (Interstate 4), from downtown Orlando. Doctor Phillips’ location gives you an effortless commute to the vast majority of any of the nearby businesses, eateries, shops, and attractions in the Orlando area.
This is well known “Restaurant Row” located on Sand Lake Rd. in Doctor Phillips. It has become a popular night time gathering place for residents and visitors of Dr.Phillips and the surrounding Area. The traffic remains focused near Disney and International Drive, which gives this area has a much more local flavor. The Dr. Phillips Marketplace, The Fountains at Bay Hill, and Plaza Venezia are the three main shopping centers that make up Restaurant Row. Multiple restaurants of every type can be found here!
Doctor Phillips is unique in that it its own “suburb” of Orlando. This area has a well-rounded collection of moderately priced open neighborhoods, as well as upscale higher-end gated communities. Doctor Phillips is one of the most sought after places to live in the Central Florida area, because of the outstanding school system, exceptional homes, and “Restaurant Row. “ Restaurant Row is a two-mile stretch of Sand Lake Road that has at least 55 eateries, combined with several boutiques that have higher end offerings.
Dcoctor Phillips homes for sale range from smaller condos and Town-homes from the $150,000′s to estate homes over $5,000,000+.
Schools serving apartments in the Dr. Phillips area include Dr. Phillips Elementary School, Bay Meadows Elementary School, Windy Ridge Elementary, Palm Lake Elementary School, Sand Lake Elementary School, Chain of Lakes Middle School, Southwest Middle School, Olympia High School, and Dr. Phillips High School. The west campus of Valencia Community College is also in close proximity to the Dr. Phillips area.
|WHO WAS DR. PHILLIPS?Dr. Philip Phillips (January 27, 1874 – April 18, 1959) was a prominent businessman and philanthropist who was particularly active in the Central Florida area. He earned a medical degree from Columbia University in New York. A citrus magnate, at one point he owned more than 5,000 acres (20 km2) of citrus groves before selling his industry assets in 1953. After that, he established the Dr. P. Phillips Foundation, while Dr. Phillips Inc. remained in the real estate business, particularly as run by his son, Howard Phillips.Many places and establishments are named in his honor in Orlando, including Orlando Regional Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, Dr. Phillips High School, the Dr. Phillips community within Orlando, and the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center, to be completed in July 2014.|
| Dr.Phillips Community Park
Dreams became reality in December 2007 when the long-awaited Dr. P. Phillips Community Park opened after several years of planning. The community park is the result of the efforts of community leaders and residents and the generosity of Dr. Phillips Inc., which made the 80-acre site for the park available to Orange County for less than one-half of its market value. Orange County Parks and Recreation Department designed and developed the first phase of the park on approximately one-half of the site, leaving room for park expansion as needed.
Located on the shore of Big Sand Land at 8249 Buenavista Woods Blvd., the park includes areas for picnics, hiking, baseball, basketball and soccer, and features a playground, rental pavilions and a dog park. Park information is available by calling(407)254-9045 or visiting the website at Dr. Philips Park Information.
Dr. P. Phillips Hospital
Doc Phillips’ first orange grove in Orange County, along the south shore of Sand Lake, was purchased in 1905. This original grove property was made available in 1981 to Orlando Health, formerly Orlando Regional Healthcare, for the construction of Sand Lake Hospital, which opened four years later.
In 2006, continuing its efforts to impact positively the lives of the area’s residents and to provide for the area’s growing healthcare needs, Dr. Phillips Charities, comprised of The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation and Dr. Phillips, Inc., pledged $5 million in support of Orlando Health’s major capital and program needs. At the time, this was the largest gift in the 53-year history of Dr. Phillips Charities. In recognition of the sustained major support of Dr. Phillips Charities over the years, Orlando Health renamed Sand Lake Hospital the “Dr. P. Phillips Hospital” on January 27, 2007 — a date chosen to commemorate the birthday of Doc Phillips.
In November 2008, the Dr. P. Phillips Hospital opened its doors to an expansion project that doubled the size of the hospital from 150 to 300 beds. The expanded hospital facilities provide enhanced, state of the art patient care to the Dr. Phillips community.
Dr.Phillip Phillips History Lesson
How things have changed! In the first half of the twentieth century, the Sand Lake area, now known as Dr. Phillips, was home to Doc Phillips’ citrus empire. His holdings included thousands of acres of orange, tangerine and grapefruit groves, making him at one time the world’s largest individual citrus grower. Doc also boasted the most modern packing house of the day. To service his grove operations, Doc built a fertilizer plant adjacent to the Sand Lake packing house, producing fertilizers for his citrus groves. He also built housing for his citrus workers and constructed a post office next to the train station serving the area.
Doc’s long range plan was to create a community centered around the grove operations. In the late 1940s, he hired a Jacksonville planner by the name of Mr. Simmons to produce a blueprint for the development of a community where people would work, live and play. Doc originally had a vision for a village with a population of 5,000 that included residential, commercial and industrial development, primarily agricultural enterprises such as growing, processing and marketing citrus as well as creating new products to use all elements of the fruit.
With unionization making inroads in the citrus industry after World War II, Doc decided to change course and exit the business. In 1954, he sold his citrus holdings to a partnership which included Minute Maid. In the sale, the Phillips family retained the undeveloped land in southwest Orange County that previously had not been used to grow citrus. Some of this retained land subsequently was sold to developers who built residential neighborhoods in the community with amenities residents enjoy today — golf, tennis, swimming and boating.
After Walt Disney announced his plans in the late 1960s for Walt Disney World to be built in the area, it became apparent the community would be much larger than originally planned. Howard Phillips, Doc’s son, recognized his father’s previous community plan needed to be updated. Since Orange County was not equipped at the time to plan the Dr. Phillips area, Howard worked closely with a world renown land planning firm (Hart, Krivatsy and Stube of San Francisco) to develop a master plan for an 18-square mile area, which included land north of the south end of Big Sand Lake, south of Conroy-Windermere Road, east of the Butler Chain of Lakes, and west of Turkey Lake Road. When this plan was presented to the Orange County Commission in 1969, the Dr. Phillips community had the distinction of being the first master-planned community in Central Florida.
The plan has now become reality. The community’s downtown, or commercial area, is located where planned along Sand Lake Road at the intersection with Dr. Phillips Boulevard and includes shops, professional offices and higher density housing. Single-family residences radiate from that central core.
The original plan made provision for schools — elementary, middle and high schools. The community now has seven schools: Dr. Phillips, Palm Lake, Bay Meadows, and Sand Lake elementary schools; Southwest and Chain of Lakes middle schools; and Dr. Phillips High School. The plan also identified the need for other public facilities, medical facilities and parks and recreation facilities. Before the plan was completed, Dr. Phillips Charities built the fire station, established a water and sewer system, and built and operated a water plant. Dr. Phillips Charities also built a library facility for the benefit of the community which is leased to the Orange County Library System. In addition, Dr. Phillips Charities made land available for parks and a family recreational complex (YMCA and Little League). Various religious denominations were provided support and encouraged to establish a presence in the area. Land also was made available to Orlando Regional Healthcare System (now known as Orlando Health) to establish a hospital, which recently was renamed The Dr. P. Phillips Hospital.
* Derived from http://www.drphillips.org/node/4